Sabrina's Law

The Government of Ontario has passed a private member's Bill designed to protect children with severe, and potentially fatal, allergies to food.

Bill 3, otherwise known as Sabrina's Law, was named after 13-year-old Sabrina Shannon. She died in September 2003, after eating lunch at her school cafeteria. She had a known, severe food allergy.

Sabrina had an EpiPen® (an emergency needle containing a life-saving dose of epinephrine) but it was not accessed in time to save her life. Sabrina died from the effects of anaphylactic shock.

Bill 3 will ensure teachers and students can effectively respond when someone goes into anaphylactic shock. It became enforceable on January 1, 2006.

To review Sabrina's Law (Bill 3) please access the following link: